This is my saga to reduce my weight.
I can see the gears turning in many minds……not another weight loss tamasha….not another self proclaimed weight loss guru…
Sorry to disappoint you buddies. Nothing like that is going to be narrated here. It’s my weight loss saga and the reaction of people around me to it.
A year back almost for a whole week I was feeling dizzy and felt like throwing up anything and everything. Nah.. I was not pregnant(no possibilities of it at all) so there..
After going through a battery of test I was diagnosed with a disc bulge(I seriously don’t know how I manage to land in such trouble) and during the course of the treatment my physio said the magic word, “Boss you need to shell out at least 10 kilos”, and suggested that I started to walk for an hour 😦
I had always lamented about my weight for years. I shot up from a demure 53 during marriage to 70 + after my daughter was born. After the delivery of my son it was around 69….
Well I was reducing weight in a slower pace .At that time I met a cousin, who is also a very good friend of mine, after a couple of months and was amazed at her transformation. She was looking drop dead gorgeous, she would have easily reduced more than 15 kilos. Man, saying that I was impressed was an understatement. Armed with her dietician’s number I began to hound my better half. Did he give in to just stop my nagging 🙂 could be.
Well after the required blood tests she put me on a diet, but to tell you the truth I have never eaten like how I ate during those two months while I was dieting. I started at 6 in the morning and kept eating every two hours till 9 in the night. On top of it I did one hour of walking and 45 mts of yoga. Phew!!!!!!!!!!!
Now we come to the crux of the story……the reaction of people around
- Genuinely Concerned: Theses are the people who were genuinely concerned that I should not starve myself. When I explained my diet pattern, they were like, “Whoa !!!who said you are dieting?”
- Know it all: These were the know it all. I am sure all of you must have come across such people. Without even bothering to find out what am I doing, why I am doing it, they just declared ,”Unnecessarily you are spoiling your health and are becoming weak.(hello look at my glowing cheeks) There is no need for you do it.” They declare it and walk off not even giving me a chance to explain.
- Motivators: These are the people who kept motivating me ,whenever they saw the physical change.(A friend of mine went to the level of moving her lunch box away from me as she did not want my figure hugging dress to become tight. She had packed my favorite dish)
- Green Eyed Monsters: I prefer to call them this. Even when the physical evidence showed that I was looking good, they went on and on trying to pull me down from the cloud nine I was walking. Their standard dialogue was that I look ugly without my cheeks, I look like a skeleton so on and so forth, encroaching my personal space.
- Irritators: Well they think they are really funny trying to crack joke about my weight loss every time and that too in public forums. God they set my teeth on edge. I don’t mind being made fun of once in a while and though I have learnt to laugh with them at the jokes that are made at my expense…somewhere down the line when it embarks on being crude and tasteless…I felt like telling them,”GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Well in spite of the irritators, know it all ,the green eyed monsters I have with the help of motivators and genuinely concerned reduced weight. I have lost 10 kilos. The biggest motivator being ME. I wanted to feel and look good. As a side effect I have built my stamina , thanks to the Yoga.
It was not to achieve a svelte figure( my hubby is not going to sweep me into his arms like the Indian heroes), it was an effort to stay healthy so that I can be independent for a very long time. Though it does feel gooooooooooood when I wear a Kurti or Jeans that showcases a toned body.
This is a salute for everyone out there who are struggling to reduce their weight and to my cousin who was my inspiration.
This is my weight loss saga and people who have a problem with that, “Go take a hike.”